Wednesday, March 09, 2011

International Women's Day 2011: A Link Round-up

March 8th is/was the 100th International Women's Day and because I didn't prepare very well I don't have any themed reviews ready. However, I have assembled this collection of links and videos that fit the theme, so I hope you check them out and have a great day.

If you don't know anything about International Women's Day, I suggest you check out this UK-centred history at the Women's History Network Blog, as well as the IWD website.

The Guardian published a series of articles called Top 100 women. I especially recommend the writing and academia category. Wikipedia's featured article for the day is about Maria: or, The Wrongs of Woman, an unfinished work by Mary Wollstonecraft, whose Vindications I am reading for the Year of Feminist Classics, though obviously not in January, like I was supposed to (shh).

In January Bitch Media released a list entitled 100 Young Adult Books for the Feminist Reader, which includes a lot of books that have been very popular on book blogs in recent years. However, the list attracted some controversy, which led to alterations being made, which led to more controversy - you can read about it here - and the decision to start an online book club. It also led to Rie, of Leaving Shangri-La (probably the first book blog I started reading) and Friend of Dorothy Wilde, putting together her own list of 35 YA Books for the Feminist Adult Reader, which I think has one major advantage over Bitch Media's list: it actually includes descriptions of the titles. Here is Part One, Part Two, Part Three, and Part Four.

For more book suggestions check out the Amelia Bloomer Project, which has been running since 2002, providing a list of recommended reading for ages 0-18 every year.

On a more serious note, the Say NO – UNiTE to End Violence Against Women website now has a quiz to test your knowledge of the facts. I thought I was fairly aware of the facts and statistics, but I got a couple of the questions wrong when I had a go.

Finally, I'll leave you with one of the most popular and fantastic slam poetry videos on the internet, I see it posted on a blog I follow at least every couple of months, so I won't be surprised if you've watched it already! If you have any more links for International Women's Day, please feel free to post them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...